Possible check logic bug

Brad Johnson bjohnson at got.wedgie.org
Thu Sep 25 19:14:27 CEST 2003

Hi again...

While trying to debug my hostextinfo problem I just posted about, I ran
into a little problem when I reloaded nagios's configuration using
/etc/rc.d/init.d/nagios reload. For some reason, half of my disabled
checks just automatically got re-enabled. I re-disabled them, but after
tweaking the config file some more, I had to restart Nagios again. I'm not
positive, but it looked like those same checks got re-enabled again.

I have nagios retaining state information in the nagios.cfg and for each
individual host and service. Nagios is set to use retained program state.
This shouldn't be happening.

After some thought, I think I may have found a correlation. When I started
up Nagios for the first time, there were several machines in the
configuration that weren't online yet. So after nagios was up and running
and started performing checks, I used the web interface to disable checks
for the down hosts. I was able to disable most of them before they ever
got executed, leaving them in a PENDING state.

I'm not 100% positive (and I can't toy around too much with this because
it's a production system), but I believe when I restarted Nagios, it
scheduled all of my PENDING checks first, even though they had been
disabled. It appears Nagios ignores whether a check is disabled or not if
it has never been executed.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Thanks,
Brad