Nagios + SMS = TRUE?

Mark Ferlatte ferlatte at cryptio.net
Thu Sep 25 16:59:37 CEST 2003

Stefan Jakobsson said on Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 08:31:30AM +0200:
> Hello all!
>
> We are in the process of setting up an SMS-gateway for our customers,
> and I want to know if and how you can get Nagios to use that for alerting
> us during "non-work" hours?
>
> I assume that since the SMS-gateway accepts e-mails as source I can just set
> up a new contactgroup for off-hours and have the mail posted to the
> SMS-gateway
> instead?
>
> Anyone have experience in setting up this kind of function and ready to
> share
> some experiences?

If it accepts email as source, then just have nagios send email to it.  I do
that and it works well.  The only thing I'd add is that we use a rate-limiter
script for alerting to not overwhelm the pagers/SMS phones... we only will send
5 pages in 5 minutes; any more than that, we don't send them, and just send a
"Too many pages" page, which everyone understands to mean "Bad things have
happened".  :)