Check Duration Question

DMelczer at WLRK.com DMelczer at WLRK.com
Wed Sep 24 16:05:56 CEST 2003

Never mind...I realized that I had to change the NRPE_CHECK command and add
a timeout entry so it didn't default to 10.

Thank you anyway.

-Dave Melczer
dmelczer at wlrk.com

-----Original Message-----
From: DMelczer at WLRK.com [mailto:DMelczer at WLRK.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 8:52 AM
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Nagios-users] Check Duration Question

Sorry if this is a really simple question, I'm a Nagios beginner...

I have noticed that by default the check duration on Nagios is set to 10
seconds.

I've attempted to set the service_check_timeout in Nagios.cfg, but that
doesn't appear to have an affect on services.

Basically, I have an NRPE command running on a Windows machine that takes
15-20 seconds to process everything that I need it to.  So, Nagios is
reporting the following error on the service:

CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds.

And is sending the service alert state to critical...any way to extend this
value through a config file?

Here is what a view of the service reveals:

Current Status:
  CRITICAL
Status Information:	 CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds.
Current Attempt:	 3/3
State Type:	 HARD
Last Check Type:	 ACTIVE
Last Check Time:	 09-24-2003 08:47:45
Status Data Age:	 0d 0h 0m 46s
Next Scheduled Active Check:  	 09-24-2003 08:52:45
Latency:	 30 seconds
Check Duration:	 10 seconds
Last State Change:	 09-24-2003 08:46:15
Current State Duration:	 0d 0h 2m 16s
Last Service Notification:	 N/A
Current Notification Number:	 0
Is This Service Flapping?
  NO
Percent State Change:	 12.11%
In Scheduled Downtime?
  NO
Last Update:	 09-24-2003 08:48:30

Thanks in advance for any insight.

-Dave Melczer
dmelczer at wlrk.com <mailto:dmelczer at wlrk.com>

Please be advised that this transmittal may be a confidential
attorney-client communication or may otherwise be privileged or
confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy or re-transmit this communication.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us by e-mail (postmaster at wlrk.com) or
by telephone (call us collect at 212-403-4357) and delete this message and
any attachments. Thank you in advance for your cooperation and assistance.

www.wlrk.com
any issue.