Nagios failing to check services

Tedman Eng teng at dataway.com
Fri Sep 19 10:23:40 CEST 2003

Here's something to chew on:

Are all you checks set for the same check interval?  If not, this is the
source of your problem.  Nagios calculates 's'mart intercheck delay assuming
the simplest of set-ups.  It totals all check times and divides by # of
checks.  So, if you have a few services that are only checked once per hour,
they'll skew the average fairly far.  To solve this, manually calculate the
intercheck-delay instead of using the 's' setting and see if that helps.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/checkscheduling.html#inter_check_delay
inter-check delay = (total normal check interval for all services) / (total
number of services)2

For your calculations use the _shortest_ check interval defined of all your
services as the "normal" check interval.

For example, if you have 60 services, 20 of which are 1-hour checks and the
other 40 being 5-minute checks, the formula would yield (calculate using
5-minutes):

inter-check delay = # services x normal check interval (in seconds) / #
services ^2
60 x 300 secs / 60^2 = 5 seconds

So in the main config file:
intercheck_delay_method=5.00

Hope this helps.

"Matt Pounsett" <matt.pounsett at cira.ca> wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.44.0309161338230.3342-200000 at office-mail.cira.ca...
> As for latency, nothing seriously out of whack is being reported there
right
> now.
>                         Min   Max  Avg
> Check Execution Time:  <1sec  9sec 1.448sec
> Check Latency:         <1sec <1sec 0.000sec
> Percent State Change:  0.00% 0.00% 0.00%
>
> Active checks is a bit disconcerting..
>
> Time Frame            Checks Completed
> <= 1 minute           6 (9.0%)         -- not a big deal
> <= 5 minutes          49 (73.1%)       -- this is an issue
> <= 15 minutes         62 (92.5%)       -- really bugs me
> <= 1 hour             67 (100.0%)
> Since program start:  67 (100.0%)
>
> There are no passive checks running... so all zero's there.
>
> > If you are indeed hitting a bottleneck in performance, it would most
> > likely be due to the core nagios.cfg options. I don't see a copy of your
> > config files. If you'd like, you can forward me a copy of your
nagios.cfg.

> I included all the apparently relevant nagios.cfg entries in my first
email on
> the subject.. but I'm attaching the whole file here.  Hopefully someone
has
> some ideas.
>
> thanks again Jason
>    Matt
>
> --
> Matt Pounsett                 CIRA - Canadian Internet Registration
Authority
> Technical Support Programmer                    350 Sparks Street, Suite
1110
> matt.pounsett at cira.ca                                 Ottawa, Ontario,
Canada
http://www.cira.ca