Larger networks

Hochberg, Keith Keith.Hochberg at mtvi.com
Wed Sep 17 18:41:07 CEST 2003

Gert,

Read up on nsca and nrpe.  I use nsca for a distributed monitoring
system... although not as spread out geographically as you.. but I have
over 400 hosts defined and 3,300 services.  I use 192-bit encryption and
have had no issues so far.

I would think about things like connectivity and bandwidth when making
your decision on how to proceed.  How is your network set up at your
company?  Do you have one central lcoation which has direct connectivity
to each of your offices?

To answer your question below regarding a distributed nagios server
acting as a stand alone... are you asking if a nagios server can receive
passive checks along with processing active checks itself?  If that is
the question, than yes, it can be done.  You could have your one central
server (which would have to be at an office which had connectivity to
most of your offices) accept passive checks from ceratin offices and do
active checks at other offices.

Hope this helps!

-Keith