Larger networks

Gert Lindstrom gert.lindstrom at brevik.nu
Wed Sep 17 10:37:32 CEST 2003

Hello group.

I would like some advice regarding setting up Nagios for monitoring larger networks.

We have been running Nagios at our main location for almost a year. Everyone is quite exited how good it works and the managers now wants to expand the monitoring to all our locations worldwide.

Is this possible to do with one Nagios server ?

Is there a way to "mirror" the Nagios servers ?

Can a distributed Nagios server also act as a stand alone ? ( some checks to be relayed to the mother server and others not ).

Is there any special things to take in consideration when monitoring larger networks.

To give you som clues about how many servers we want to monitor here are som numbers:

Windows servers        about 500 pcs
AS/400                      about 60 pcs
Network eqipment       yes :-) lots of switches, routers and VPN gates.
Locations                   about 100 spread arund the world in about 40 countrys.