Monitoring multi-homed boxen

Tedman Eng teng at dataway.com
Wed Sep 17 04:52:11 CEST 2003

It sort of depends on how the services are set up on the multi-homed host.

Do the different interfaces have services specific to each interface?  (For
example, DHCP in one side, DNS on the other side).  If so I'd monitor each
interface as a separate host.

Do you have to go through one interface to get to the other? (For example, a
box set up as a gateway, which Nagios is allowed to route through).  If so,
I'd set up the near interface as parent, and the far side interface as a
child.  This would mark the far side interface 'unreachable' if the near
interface goes down.

Is the same service bound to multiple ports?  If so, monitoring one
interface should suffice, since you'll now that if the service itself dies,
it's likely dead for all the interfaces.

news:20030916153657.GL66001 at sentex.net...