CGI permissions make me mad!

Rick_Blair at fws.gov Rick_Blair at fws.gov
Tue Sep 16 23:11:02 CEST 2003

I have set up a new test server and made the permissions as wide open as
possible.  I still get a cgi error:
"It appears as though you do not have permission to view information for
any of the hosts you requested..."

1. All cgi files in /usr/local/nagios/lib/cgi are 0755 owned by
nagios:apache.

2. My cgi.cfg looks like this:

        main_config_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
        physical_html_path=/usr/local/nagios/share
        url_html_path=/nagios
        show_context_help=0
        use_authentication=0
        default_user_name=guest
        authorized_for_system_information=*
        authorized_for_configuration_information=*
        authorized_for_system_commands=*
        authorized_for_all_services=*
        authorized_for_all_hosts=*
        authorized_for_all_service_commands=*

3. My httpd Include file for nagios (/etc/httpd/conf.d/nagios.conf) looks
like this:

        ScriptAlias /nagios/cgi-bin/ /usr/local/nagios/lib/cgi/
        <Directory /usr/local/nagios/lib/cgi/>
        Options ExecCGI
        order deny,allow
         deny from all
         allow from all
        </Directory>

        Alias /nagios/ /usr/local/nagios/share/
        <Directory /usr/local/nagios/share/>
        Options None
        order deny,allow
        deny from all
        allow from all
        </Directory>

4. The web page shows me logged in as 'guest'.

Rick Blair
Network Engineer
USFW

Rick Blair
Network Engineer
USFW
303.202.2687

Larry Bills <larry.bills at mci.com>
Sent by: nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
09/16/2003 01:39 PM

        cc:     jeff vier <jeff.vier at tradingtechnologies.com>, nagios-users
<nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
        Subject:        Re: [Nagios-users] CGI permissions make me mad!

Correction...should have read mod_auth.so

Larry

Larry Bills wrote:
Have you checked out your webserver, since you did a resinstall of
everything. If mod_auto.so is not loaded, you will not be able to
authorize, also check all other web server switches that may affect this
item. Problem might not be Nagios at all, I have never had a problem on
Red Hat or Sun Solaris 6,8 or 9 if one sets the Apache web server conf
file up correctly, and the permissions on Nagios per the docs.

Sincerely

Larry Bills

jeff vier wrote:
While not ideal, have you tried opening up permissions on things?

a `chmod -R 777 /path/to/cgis /path/to/nagios` isn't something you'd
want to leave live, but it'll at least "fix" the problem enough to let
you know if it's a file permissions problem