check_smtp

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Tue Sep 16 06:31:52 CEST 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 chbaker at powersystems.rockwell.com wrote:

> The check_smtp plugin version 1.6, on Debian unstable has started giving me
> problems over the last week or so. No matter how long I set the timeout
> period, the check always times out. Checks of other services on the same
> boxes are fine. When I run check_smtp from the command line to a server
> that is not currently being monitored, it times out as well. The servers in
> question do have either inetd or sendmail itself listening at port 25. Any
> ideas?

umm - sendmail or any MTA probably should not be run form inetd...

If sendmail it self is listening to port 25 - can you run check_tcp from
nagios to the mail server to verify tcp connectivity?

Are there any tools running on the mail server that help you establish the
"normal" delay before the MTA prints out the initial message?

--

-sg