Nagios failing to check services

Matt Pounsett matt.pounsett at cira.ca
Mon Sep 15 22:28:24 CEST 2003

I'm doing some testing of our initial Nagios setup, and have come across a
situation I can't find an explanation for.  A little while ago, I shut down a
host to see how Nagios would handle the loss of services, and whether it would
properly report the host as being down instead of firing off a long list of
service outage reports.

The host has now been down for approximately 23 minutes; three of the six
services have gone HARD CRITICAL, while the other three are still being
reported as OK.  Looking at nagios.log, it is clear that the three OK services
have not been checked since the host was powered off, while the three CRITICAL
services have each been checked at least 5 times each (max_check_attempts
is 5 for the host and its services).  The host's check_command hasn't been
executed either, but I gather this is never executed until all services have
failed (aside: is the host's check_command run when all services are in HARD
failure, or all services in SOFT failure?).

I can't find any config options that would account for this behavior.  Unless
the smart inter-check delay method has gone haywire, this seems entirely
contrary to some of the basic intentions of the Nagios system.

I've included here all the config variables that seem to me light they might
be even remotely related to service check scheduling.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

check_external_commands=1
command_check_interval=-1
log_notifications=1
log_service_retries=1
log_host_retries=1
inter_check_delay_method=s
service_interleave_factor=s
max_concurrent_checks=0
service_reaper_frequency=10
sleep_time=1
interval_length=60
use_agressive_host_checking=0
execute_service_checks=1
obsess_over_services=0
check_for_orphaned_services=1
check_service_freshness=1
freshness_check_interval=60
aggregate_status_updates=1
status_update_interval=15
enable_flap_detection=1

--
Matt Pounsett                 CIRA - Canadian Internet Registration Authority
Technical Support Programmer                    350 Sparks Street, Suite 1110