1.1 Install problems

Matt Pounsett matt.pounsett at cira.ca
Wed Sep 10 16:29:17 CEST 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Lewis Shobbrook wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've recently installed nagios 1.1 on  a debian system running the
> latest unstable release.  I'm unable to start the seervice from inet.d
> Starting network monitor: nagios
> su: invalid option -- l

The default init script runs this command just before starting nagios:

su -l $Nagios -c "touch $NagiosVar/nagios.log $NagiosSav"

notice the -l as the first argument?  Your su apparently doesn't want or need
the -l to specify the login to su to.  According to the usage information su
is giving you, it seems you'd be okay simply changing that line to:

su $Nagios -c "touch $NagiosVar/nagios.log $NagiosSav"

HTH

--
Matt Pounsett                 CIRA - Canadian Internet Registration Authority
Technical Support Programmer                    350 Sparks Street, Suite 1110