1.1 Install problems

Lewis Shobbrook lshobbrook at fasttrack.net.au
Wed Sep 10 05:24:58 CEST 2003

Hi all,
I've recently installed nagios 1.1 on  a debian system running the
latest unstable release.  I'm unable to start the seervice from inet.d
Starting network monitor: nagios
su: invalid option -- l
Usage: su [OPTS] [-] [username [ARGS]]
        -       make this a login shell
        -c, --command=<command>
                pass command to the invoked shell using its -c
                option
       -m, -p, --preserve-environment
                do not reset environment variables, and keep the
                same shell
       -s, --shell=<shell>
                use shell instead of the default in /etc/passwd
  PID TTY          TIME CMD

I've had a look at the init.d script, but can't see how the su is
getting passed with an invalid option.  The nagios user was created and
passwd blanked with passwd -d nagios.  I've tried to use the init script
from a sucessful 1.0 installation and find the error is the same.
Everything was hunky dory during configure,compile and install...

Is anyone aware of what might be causing this?

Cheers,
Lewis Shobbrook