advanced event handlers

Sean Perry sean.perry at intransa.com
Fri Sep 5 20:51:14 CEST 2003

newsletters wrote:
> I am interested in doing some low level trouble resolution with event
> handlers.
>
> More specifically, today my cable modem crapped out and it needed to be
> power cycled.  So I am interested in using nagios pings to figure out
> where the problem is and start rebooting things.  I can easily reboot the
> firewall as it's running linux.  But the cable modem is going to be
> tougher.  I don't think there is a way I can remote to it and power cycle.
>  So.......
>
> Using something like X10 to bouce an outlet.  We have APC master switches
> here at work and I have just started thinking about writing some php code
> to bounce a switch if I need, but does anybody know how this might be
> accomplished on the cheap???

here at work we use these network enabled power switches.  You just
telnet to it and say 'boot 3' to reboot switch 3.  Trivial to write
expect scripts (or perl/python/whatever) against.

Not sure what they cost but it saves us a fair amount when something
goes wrong and an admin can fix it from wherever he happens to be.
They can't be all that expensive.  I have one here on my desk by "Black
Box" which has 8 ports.  It looks like a big KVM.  We also have a few in
the lab that look like standard rack powerstrips with a cat-5 sticking
out one end.