notifications re-enabling themselves?

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Wed Sep 3 17:37:23 CEST 2003

CVS is in a high state of flux right now due to the development on the
2.0 code branch. Ethan has stated that CVS is likely to be extremely
volatile so use it at your own risk. It's only alpha quality at this
point.

> I am about 99% sure that I did not have multiple instances running,
but
> I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that, say,
> '/etc/init.d/nagios reload' (which I had run) spawned a rogue
duplicate
> process (which, assuming it needs to bind to a port like a normal
> listener, would be *impossible* under Unix - two processes cannot bind
> to a port like that).

Nagios doesn't bind to any port and having multiple instances running is
actually quite a common problem. So common in fact that I feel like a
broken record responding but I'm usually right.

> So regardless the duplication of processes, I built the cvs tree, shut
> down the nagios daemon (and I watched all the children die as well)
and
> started the new version.  Now it's fixed - I'm happy, my boss is
happy,
> and the on-call NOC admin is *very* happy.

I'm glad that worked for you.

--
Marc