Starting Nagios

Gabriele De Gregorio Gabriele.DeGregorio at enterpriseda.com
Mon Sep 1 12:14:33 CEST 2003

Hello! I am a beginners on using linux. I need to use Nagios to monitor
my network resource.

I have already installed a linux distribution (Debian 3.0) and its
nagios. I have installed the nagios-text version because I didn't
install mysql. I am using configuration files installed by apt. What do
I have to edit? Using the command "/etc/init.d/nagios start" nagios
seems to be up. If I want to enter nagios' page by the web, I type
http://nagiosservername/nagios in the address bar. Immediately, the
system requires the login (nagiosadmin and password), so I can access
the nagios' page. Clicking on "Tactical overview" I read - in the
up-left corner - this message

Tactical Monitoring Overview

Last Updated: Mon Sep 1 12:16:37 CEST 2003
Updated every 90 seconds
Nagios(r) - www.nagios.org
Logged in as nagiosadmin

Warning: Monitoring process may not be running!
Click here <http://10.28.91.200/nagios/cgi-bin/extinfo.cgi?type=0>  for
more info.

Also, when I click on any other buttons.

Another message is

It appears as though Nagios is not running, so commands are temporarily
unavailable...

What can I do to resolve this problem?

Thank's a lot,

Gabriele