NRPE just won't start on Solaris.

Alex St. Amand astamand at ati.com
Thu Oct 30 15:40:19 CET 2003

Hello,

I am trying to get NRPE running on a Solaris 8 system.  The plugins have
compiled correctly and the system has the /dev/random patch applied.  The
problem I am having is getting NRPE to start.  It just does nothing.  I have
enclosed the entries from both /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf.  I have
also enclosed a message I found in /var/adm/messages indicating the address
is already in use (which I assume it means port # which is not the case).

I HUP, and I HUP, but it just wont start.  The nagios user exists and owns
and can execute the binary as well as read the config file.

Did I miss something here?

FROM /ETC/SERVICES:

nrpe    5666/tcp                                # Nagios

FROM /ETC/INETD.CONF:

nrpe    stream   tcp    nowait   nagios  /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe -c
/usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg -inetd

FROM /VAR/ADM/MESSAGES:

Oct 30 08:55:04 smbck1 nrpe[1361]: [ID 434846 daemon.error] Network server
bind failure (125: Address already in use)

$ cat /etc/services | grep 5666
nrpe    5666/tcp                                # Nagios
$

Thank you!

Alex St. Amand
Information Technology