[Nagmin-users] adding extra tables to NagMIN

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Oct 29 16:46:48 CET 2003

    Fred> The other routine where extra tables get special treatment is in
    Fred> "view_tables.cgi".  There's a section where NagMIN decides where
    Fred> to display the tables.  I split it out between Nagios DB and
    Fred> NagMIN DB tables.  Extra tables won't be displayed unless they're
    Fred> added to one of the lists.

Thanks, I will check into this.

    Fred> What does "keyed by the ." mean??

Whoops.  That sentence should have read

    I have auxiliary info about our system engineers (home, work, cell
    phones) which I want to store in a separate NagMIN table keyed by
    Contact.contact_name.

    Fred> Another option for your engineer info would be add phone number
    Fred> fields to the contact information table and then ask NagMIN to
    Fred> ignore those fields in nagios_write.  I was thinking of doing this
    Fred> anyway, but there are so many applications with contact
    Fred> information that's never used, I'd didn't want to create yet
    Fred> another place to store name/address/phone number.  (I'm waiting to
    Fred> be asked for my zip code or phone number when buying a 1/4 Pounder
    Fred> pretty soon.)

Yeah, I think it's cleaner to put auxiliary information in separate tables
then use a foreign key to associate them with content in other tables.

    Fred> Let me know if adding phone information to the Contact table would
    Fred> be helpful to you and I'll include the fields.

Eventually I'd want you to add pager, wife's maiden name, shoe size, first
pet's name, yadda yadda yadda.  I think separation is the key to a good
long-term relationship in this case.

Skip