"Could not locate a running Nagios process!"

Tsugranes, Vincent VTsugranes at AtlasAir.com
Sat Oct 25 04:12:20 CEST 2003

<at> eyecarenow.com]
> Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 1:35 PM
> To: nagios-users <at> lists.sourceforge.net
>
> I am sure this is a RTFM problem, but I couldn't find it in the docs.
> If someone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
>
> And I did search the archives... or tried to, with no hits.
>
> I am running Nagios (newest version, downloaded yesterday) and have it
> up and running.
>
> I have the plugins, also newest version, and they are working
correctly.

> I am getting updated status on all of the hosts I configured, I have
> services set up, and I have created hostgroups for my hosts.  I set
all
> contacts, and I have Nagios starting correctly, except...
>
> When I go to the web interface, I cannot execute commands, and the
> Process Info page has the error message, "Could not locate a running
> Nagios process!".  However, the process is located in the box, and has
> the correct PID and running time.

I am having a similar problem...

Nagios is compiled and running with database support / nagmin, and all
processes are running correctly, but when nagios starts, the files
nagios.cmd and status.log are not created.

status_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/status.log
command_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd

	[root at nagios nagios]# ls -al
	total 32
	drwxrwxr-x    8 nagios   nagios       4096 Oct 24 09:39 .
	drwxr-xr-x   15 root     root         4096 Oct 23 14:27 ..
	drwxrwxr-x    2 nagios   nagios       4096 Oct 23 14:10 bin
	drwxrwxr-x    3 nagios   nagios       4096 Oct 24 21:46 etc
	drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Oct 24 21:31 libexec
	drwxrwxr-x    2 nagios   nagios       4096 Oct 23 14:10 sbin
	drwxrwxr-x    8 nagios   nagios       4096 Oct 23 15:08 share
	drwxrw-rw-    4 nagios   nagios       4096 Oct 24 21:36 var
		drwxrwxr-x    2 nagios   nagios       4096 Oct 24 21:36 rw

[root at nagios nagios]# ps -ef | grep nagios
nagios    6805     1  0 21:36 ?        00:00:00 [nagios]
root      8058 31784  0 21:49 pts/2    00:00:00 grep nagios

nagios_check_command=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nagios -F
~	/usr/local/nagios/var/status.log -e 5 -C 'nagios'

Error: Cannot open status log for reading!

When I create the log manually, and give permissions, the Process Status
Information returns the correct data:
	[root at nagios nagios]# touch /usr/local/nagios/var/status.log
	[root at nagios nagios]# chown nagios /usr/local/nagios/var/status.log
	[root at nagios nagios]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nagios -F

~		/usr/local/nagios/var/status.log -e 5 -C 'nagios'
	Nagios problem: located 1 process, status log updated 1067046914

~		seconds ago

The status data is going into the database, but the CGIs are all configured
for database support; why is the status.log file still necessary?

Sorry about the extended post, but I'm out of ideas.
-Vincent