[Nagmin-users] NagMIN Question

Fred Reimers fredreimers at comcast.net
Wed Oct 22 01:10:42 CEST 2003

Martin,

I read the Nagios 2.0 docs and it doesn't appear that all MySQL support
is going to go away in 2.0.  The only tables that NagMIN is using are
the hoststatus and servicestatus tables.

I hope they don't get rid of all of it.  I love Nagios but my concern
has been, and is, that it's too focused on continuing to modify
different ways of configuring it from flat files.  The more this can
remain static, the more applications, like NagMIN can be developed to
provide different ways of auto-generating configurations.  Why add
service groups to Nagios, as a flat-file configuration, if an
application like NagMIN can already provide that functionality.  In my
view, getting rid of all status information information in a database
would be a mistake since it also facilities other development.

In my view, I don't see any reason to move from 1.1 unless there's some
big change in the polling engine that I would need.  I don't see
anything in 2.0 that's a show-stopper.

I'm also happy with the CGIs, except that I would love to be able to
expand/close host groups/hosts/services from the status screens.
Service Detail is not scalable.  I'm going to write a script for use, in
place of side.html, that will allow you to search for a host, and to
list host groups by pulling the information from the NagMIN database.

Right now, I'm having problems with the TAC screen in version 1.1.  The
columns skew to the right.  I'm copying tac.c from 1.0 into 1.1 and
compiling it.  I've made some changes to my version of status.c so that
the sounds stop after an alert has been acknowledged.

Fred