defining passive services

Jim Mozley jim.mozley at exponential-e.com
Mon Oct 6 10:11:57 CEST 2003

> I have a question regarding the configuration of passive alerts. I have
> nsca set up to receive alerts from lrrd, and this seems to be working
> fine. It appears that nsca is passing these alerts on to nagios. My
> question is how to properly define a service to accept these passive
> alerts.
>
> The service in question that I am monitoring is cpu usage. When
> cpu usage exceeds 90%, an alert is sent out. I have
> passive_checks_enabled in service.cfg, but each service definition needs
> a check_command by default.

I have had some problems getting passive checks going (see recent threads
within the last week). One thing you may need to do is set the is_volatile
option. The example on setting up SNMP monitoring in the documentation
discusses this and why you may need it (its not applicable to all passive
monitoring).

Jim