Problems with db stored data

Paul Hirschorn phirschorn at brave.net
Fri Nov 21 23:20:33 CET 2003

I have been pulling my hair out trying to find out why the following is
occurring.  My Nagios never comes alive because of the following errors:

Error: Could not read program retention data from table programretention
Error: Could not read host retention data from table hostretention
Error: Could not read service retention data from table serviceretention
Error: Could not lock status data tables in database ''

Any ideas why this would occur?  I have all of my database definitions
defined as follows
Just for testing purposes I used my root user just to see if it could work.
I cant find anything on google pertaining to this.

# DOWNTIME DATA
xdddb_host=hostname
xdddb_port=3306
xdddb_database=dbname
xdddb_username=uname
xdddb_password=passwd
#
# COMMENT DATA
xcddb_host=hostname
xcddb_port=3306
xcddb_database=dbname
xcddb_username=uname
xcddb_password=passwd
#
# STATUS DATA
xsddb_host=hostname
xsddb_port=3306
xsddb_database=dbname
xsddb_username=uname
xsddb_password=passwd
#
# EXTENDED DATA
xeddb_host=hostname
xeddb_port=3306
xeddb_database=dbname
xeddb_username=uname
xeddb_password=passwd

and in $BASE/nagios/etc/resource.cfg

# DB DOWNTIME DATA : 'hostdowntime' and 'servicedowntime'
xdddb_host=hostname
xdddb_port=3306
xdddb_database=dbname
xdddb_username=uname
xdddb_password=passwd

# DB COMMENT DATA : 'hostcomments' and 'servicecomments'
xcddb_host=hostname
xcddb_port=3306
xcddb_database=dbname
xcddb_username=uname
xcddb_password=passwd

# DB STATUS DATA : 'programstatus', 'hoststatus', 'servicestatus'
xsddb_host=hostname
xsddb_port=3306
xsddb_database=dbname
xsddb_username=uname
xsddb_password=passwd

# DB RETENTION DATA : 'programretention', 'hostretention',
'serviceretention'
xrddb_host=hostname
xrddb_port=3306
xrddb_database=dbname