Hosts.cfg question, service configuration question, ldapv3

Quanah Gibson-Mount quanah at stanford.edu
Wed Nov 19 18:33:49 CET 2003

--On Wednesday, November 19, 2003 9:30 AM -0800 Joe Rhett
<jrhett at isite.net> wrote:

>> 1) In the hosts.cfg file, it allows you to specify a check command to
>> execute.  I am currently using check-host-alive for this option.
>> However,  I see no way to configure how *often* you want this command to
>> be executed.  Thus, it looks like it is more reasonable to implement a
>> ping service  instead of using this command if you want the host to be
>> checked regularly.
>
> Change the check interval.

My point is that there is *no* check interval parameter in the hosts config
section.  Follow ups from others lead me to believe there is something else
wrong here, however, since Nagios is supposed to behave in a "smart" manner.

>> 2) In the service.cfg file, it seems I have to define the same service
>> block for every host of a given service.  This seems rather redundant to
>> me.  For example, we have 9 ldap servers available for our general pool.
>> I  have to define a service block for all 9 of those hosts that contains
>> exactly the same information for each one, other than the host name.
>> Will  the host_name directive for service be modified to allow you to
>> enter  multiple host names if you so choose?  This would allow me to
>> have a single  service definition instead of 9.
>
> You can use multiple templates.  So make a block with everything that is
> common, but use "name" instead of "hostname" at the top.  Then put
> "register no" at the bottom.  Then source that profile from a profile
> with just a hostname.  So for no example, I'm offsite right now ;-)

I've found some examples of this in the sample config files... I'll try
that or the multiple hosts suggestion.

>> 3) Will the check_ldap command be updated to allow Ldap v3 binds?  The
>> current check_ldap command only seems to work with servers that have V2
>> enabled.  We don't enable v2 on some of our servers.
>
> Recompile against the right library, or fix it yerself ;-)  I've found it
> best to make my own check programs in most cases.

I'll give that a poke.

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer