using multiple network cards

Neal.Starr at cox.com Neal.Starr at cox.com
Mon Nov 17 22:36:08 CET 2003

Bear in mind that link aggregation (i.e. adapter teaming), requires a device on the other end that also supports this standard (which I believe is 802.1ab, but I forget now).  Without that, adapter teaming is useless.

Another thing to try if you are really set on putting two NICs in your Nagios box would be to set up a source routing scheme of some sort.  Just create static route statements on your box that point to some hosts out one interface, and point the rest out of the other interface.  This can get very confusing very quickly though if you have many hosts on your network...I know on our network I would not relish trying to set a scheme like that up.

Currently I have Nagios on a SunFire 280R running Solaris 9 with only a single NIC and right now I have ~200 hosts and ~800 services being monitored and have not noticed any issue with the checks completing relatively quickly.

Neal Starr
Data Engineer, BSCS, CCNA
Cox Communications - Kansas
316-260-7311