How many passive service check results per second ?

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Fri Nov 14 23:17:24 CET 2003

I believe that someone did some type of calculation for this last year.
For what it's worth, I have 2559 services at 5 minute intervals (all
passive using 4 data collectors reporting all checks to 2 centralized
host for duplication) which equates to about 31,000 per hour and nagios
doesn't even break a sweat. It's currently running on a quad P3 500mhz
with a gig of ram but nagios rarely uses significant resources on the
box and I've had it running on lesser boxen.

Passive Checks: Time Frame Checks Completed
<= 1 minute: 219 (8.6%)
<= 5 minutes: 2545 (99.5%)
<= 15 minutes: 2559 (100.0%)
<= 1 hour: 2559 (100.0%)
Since program start:   2559 (100.0%)

You don't say how often you are checking your services and that will
have a _big_ impact on nagios performance. If I were doing the same
checks above at 1 minute intervals I'd probably be killing nagios. Some
of my pertinent nagios.cfg settings are below --

service_reaper_frequency=5
retention_update_interval=5
aggregate_status_updates=1
command_check_interval=-1