New to nagios

Jim Mozley jim.mozley at exponential-e.com
Fri Nov 14 11:03:12 CET 2003

Sullivan, Robert (HQP) wrote:

> Does anyone have an example of this?

is difficult to read ;-)

Top posting...

> You'll have to specify every host you want to monitor in the hosts file,
> but the idea behind templating is that you make one template for each
> 'class' of hosts, then write some very small entries of each. So, if you
> have some sun servers, you create a template that defines everything about
> a generic server. You then write a small awk script to take the list of
> hostnames you want to monitor and have it spit out a small host entry that
> also invokes the template.

I use some perl to query switches and define ports as services, so that
as new ports are brought into use they are added to Nagios. I guess one
could do something similar for system hosts and the services run on
them. If it would help I can send you an example but you would have to
wade through perl and modify it to be useful.

Jim