Using SEC with Nagios for SNMP trap processing

Noah Leaman noah at mac.com
Fri Nov 14 09:19:00 CET 2003

I am thrilled with the prospect of using SEC to process SNMP traps, but
I am wondering the best way to send the received trap(s) to sec.pl.

Should I setup a "traphandle default" in snmptrapd.conf to pipe each
trap separately to SEC, or use the traphandle to append to a log file
then have that log file read by SEC. If it is the latter, then how or
when does SEC get instantiated so it can read the file and how does
being able to perform time-based correlation come into play with how
the traps are read by SEC?

I know I am missing a part of the puzzle here. Otherwise I think I
understand how to integrate SEC into Nagios as far as setting up the
passive service and using SEC to write to nagios.cmd.

--
Noah