New install on Vector linux 4.0 - Nagios Daemon won't start

Matt Pounsett matt.pounsett at cira.ca
Mon Nov 10 17:24:44 CET 2003

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, KG6OSQ wrote:

> When I type 'service nagios start', I get no response or it outputs this:
> Starting network monitor: nagios
> nagios: /usr/bin/nagios: cannot execute binary file
> No lock file found in /usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.lock

The error message is misleading.  If nagios fails to start, it doesn't create
the lock file, and then the startup scripts complains about the missing
logfile.  Check your nagios log file.  Chances are you've got a typo in one of
your config files that is preventing Nagios from starting properly.

--
Matt Pounsett                 CIRA - Canadian Internet Registration Authority
Technical Support Programmer                    350 Sparks Street, Suite 1110