OT: Leaks in Net-SNMP snmptrapd ??

Mon Nov 10 05:50:06 CET 2003

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

<OT content=anecdote about snmptrapd>

I am a happy user of Net-SNMP (5.0.9 on FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE) to accept
traps for input to Nagios as passive service checks.

However, snmptrapd appears to have a gynormous memory leak.

After running for some days the process size grows from about 4 MB to
o(100MB) !

Even after 4 hours running the process size is ~ 16 MB.

  PID USERNAME       PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU
COMMAND
66657 root             2   0 16332K 15100K select   0:36  0.05%  0.05%
snmptrap

(
after a restart

tsitc# killall snmptrapd
tsitc# /usr/local/sbin/snmptrapd -S 6 -a

tsitc# ps -auxw | grep snmp
root   38146  0.0  1.3  4488 3232  ??  Ss    3:45PM   0:00.00
/usr/local/sbin/snmptrapd -S 6 -a
tsitc#
)

There don't appear to be any complaints in its log file or on the system
log files.

Unfortunately, there are too many dependencies on Net-SNMP 5 for
downgrade to Net-SNMP 4 to be reasonable (ethereal notably).

Has anyone else seen this behaviour  ?

(Letting me know will help decide if its a FreeBSD problem or an
Net-SNMP problem and submitting a PR accordingly)

The only workaround I can imagine is restarting snmptrapd each few hours
or so.

Back to normal programming
</OT>

Yours sincerely.