Few problems about Centralized and Distributed Monitoring and Nagios process

David Suen dsuen at squiz.net
Mon Nov 10 04:25:25 CET 2003

Hi list,

         I setup a Centralized and Distributed Montoring system which
currently monitoring 15 hosts and have 69 services altogether using passive
check with check freshness enabled.

         Both Central and Distributed Servers seems fine however I have the
following problems and see if anyone in here can help me:

1) In central server, sometimes when do the ps it shows that nagios has
more than 70 processes. Anyone in here has idea why and how to solve it? Or
I have to write a script, put it in the cron and check it (which I dont
want to if possible)?

2) Central Server said does not receive any passive check from one of the
distribute servers. However when I check the distribute server it does run
...../send_nsca...... . Once the distribute server marked as down (due to
does not receive any passive check after "check_freshness" sec), it takes
really long time (1-2 hours about) to make the host is up again (I think it
can receive the passive check again). Furthermore, it seems the central
server does not do any active check when the passive check data is staled
and sometimes I have to restart the nagios in that distribute server then
wait for awhile to make the central server receive the passive check again.
It only happened in one distribute server.

3) One of the service in one of the server marked as down ("No data
received from host"). I clicked that host using web interface and click
"Schedule an immediate check of all services on this host" but it still
remain the same after almost an hr. Moreover the central server also does
not run any active check after the data become stale.

         If these problems is due to the mis-configuration in the
configuration files where should I take a look? Currently I set the
freshness is 5 mins (300 sec).

         Thanks a lot.

David Suen

IMPORTANT:This email(and any attachments) is commercial-in-confidence and
or may be legally privileged
and must not be forwarded, copied or shared without express permission from
Squiz. If you are not the
intended recipient, you may not legally copy, disclose or use the contents
in any way and you should
contact <mailto:squiz at squiz.net>squiz at squiz.net immediately and destroy
this message and any attachments. Thank you.