Automatically generating multiple service definitions

Sam Stickland sam_ml at spacething.org
Tue Nov 4 14:11:52 CET 2003

Hi,

I'd like to be able generate service definations from an external program
when nagios starts and also while it is running.

For example, I have an external program that creates SMPP connections to
other servers on demamd. Currently I have a nagios plugin that contacts the
external program and checks that all the SMPP connections that it is using
are bound correctly.

But it exists only as a single service. This causes problems if one
connection drops, and then another some time afterwards. The service will go
into the critical state on the first drop, so the second one doesn't issue
an alert. Also, as a single service there's only one location for comments,
scheduled downtime, disabling of notifications etc.

I'd like to be able to write an external program that regulary scans for how
many connections there are, and inserts and removes service definations as
appropiate.

This would be useful for a variety of other services, eg. BGP session state,
switch port status etc.

How should I go about this? The solution that comes to mind is a
cron-scheduled script that checks the number of services, compares it to
previous state and if it's changed, regenerates a configuration file and
issues a "nagios reload".

It seems like a fairly generic solution should be possible. Does this
already exist? Would there be interest in it if I wrote one?

Sam