Layout of Nagios

Rob Nelson rob at capband.net
Mon Nov 3 19:07:34 CET 2003

>We are in the process of setting up our nagios installation, and I was
>wondering how people are laying out nagios
>and what is the most effective way they have found for setting up
>groups.
>
>Each group is ......
>
>1. Based on the type of system being monitored, i.e. Unix, Linux,
>Router, Switch, Wintel etc etc
>
>2. Based on the function of the system i.e. database server, web server,
>file print, network component etc.
>
>3. Based on location of the system i.e. loc 1 has unix, wintel, router
>switch, loc 2 has wintel, switch, loc 3 has linux, switch router etc.
>
>Also, Nagios allows you to have one host in multiple groups, when you
>start to get to large numbers, won't that become confusing ??

I work for an ISP, no idea what your market is. We have different sites
that we install at, rather than covering an entire geographic regions, so
we group in two ways:

1. Site Specific
2. Certain Function-Specific devices

Each site has a router, a firewall, an auth server, and a number of devices
there. The following groups would be generated:

{Site Name} Devices
Firewalls
Routers
Auth Servers

All of the devices are in the first group, and the other groups have all of
the {product type} at every site. Since Routers are a blocking outage, we
can just look at the Routers group to see what's going to go down. If we
look at the Site group, we can see specific devices that might only affect
a portion of the customers there, but if we see a lot of stuff going down
the Router still shows up, so we know if that's what's causing the outages.

It's worked well, although some people in our org get confused. Of course,
they get confused at most things anyway...

As long as you set up the dependencies properly, they will make the
Blocking Outages page work, and show you what things are Down versus
Unreachable, which is what makes Nagios useful :)

Rob Nelson
Network Administrator, Capitol Broadband
C: 919-369-1874
rob at capband.net