sending nsca checks

Fri May 30 03:22:25 CEST 2003

Dear Sir,

In the docco,

 'Integration with other software'
 'SNMP traps'

you will find a complete worked example of using send_ncsa to send
passive service check results to a manager Nag.

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 02:18:57PM -0500, Todd Anderson wrote:
> I am trying to setup passive checks using nsca.
>
> The server seems fine, I can telnet into port 5667, however the client is what
> is confusing me.
>
> once send_nsca and send_nsca.cfg are in place how do I use them to send checks
> to the central nagios server.
>
> should I write a script that pipes the check_* commands into send_nsca and to
> the central server?

Only if you like re-inventing the wheel.

This is the distributed monitoring scenario described in

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/distributed.html

You have 'local' Nags that check the hosts and services each is
responsible for.

Each local Nag submits the results of its checks to the central -
display Nag - with NCSA as described in that document.

This is the guts of the doing distributed monitoring: each local Nag
has these (from the docco)

'Key configuration changes:

     Only those services and hosts which are being monitored directly by
the distributed server are defined in the object configuration file.

     The distributed server has its enable_notifications directive set
to 0. This will prevent any notifications from being sent out by the
server.

     The distributed server is configured to obsess over services.

     The distributed server has an ocsp command defined (as described
below).
'

The ocsp command is the bit that uses send_ncsa to submit the service
check result to the central Nag for it to display.

You may say you don't want all this extra gunk - why go to the trouble
of installing multiple Nags to send a few check results ?

You do. If you don't you will have to do all the things Nag does for you

1 Schedule the services - cron ??

2 Manage retries - add a layer to the check ??

3 Make the checks NCSA aware ???

4 Log the results  (Cron will do it, won't it ?)

> this seems to be my sticking point. I am also wondering how I will get the
> server to recognize that it has recieved passive check in then nagios.cmd
> file.

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.