Definig Host with multiple Interfaces

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Wed May 28 06:10:03 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 09:04, Michael Hüttig wrote:
> Hi,
> is there an ability, to define a host with a lot of interfaces, like a router
> or a firewall?
>
> Our defaultGW-routers had 8 * E3, 8*ISDN-BRI, 4 ETH-Interfaces and i don't
> want to define 12 Hosts, our firewall has 9 eth-interfaces, so it's a little
> bit stupid, do define them all as single hosts.

First I will note that Nagios actually does not care how you describe
the Host IP. It can be '10.0.1.2' or 'localhost' or
'this_is_a_bogus_host_name'. Or more importantly for our purposes:

	123.123.123.123,10.0.1.123

On its own, this may not help much. But the CVS for the plugins contains
a version of check_ping that will read the above host IP list and check
each interface in sequence until it finds one that is up.

Extensions to other plugins could be made if a good argument were
presented that it is generally useful.

For my part, I actually want a host definition for each interface
because SNMP is available on the internal 10.x.x.x interface and HTTP is
not, whereas HTTP checks can only be made against the external
interface.

But each the interfaces are dependent on the host that represents the
combination of all of the interfaces. So if all of the interfaces are
down, then I notify that one host has failed, rather than getting
separate notifications for each interface.

Keep in mind that the above is somewhat new.

In your example, what services would be checked? I guess that you would
want a version of check_ping that failed if any of the interfaces were
down (current behavior is to fail only if all interfaces are down).
Beyond that, maybe you want check_snmp (and/or related plugins) to
accept a list of IPs? If so should check_snmp probe all the IPs in the
list? Somehow I think just the first.

But of course, you can get that by defining a dependent host using the
above configuration. And you can define ping checks for each for each
individual interface under the parent host. So maybe with what is in
CVS, you can do what you want.

It does seem to me that the range of desired configurations has not yet
been discussed fully enough for a simple answer to your question.

--
Karl