Definig Host with multiple Interfaces

Thom Smith tsmith at court-jester.org
Tue May 27 16:43:34 CEST 2003

Nagios seems to define the host by the IP address and this becomes
frustrating for routers and VPN concentrators.  But there are several
ways to overcome it.  The first is to use SNMP to retrieve the
information.  The drawback to this is that you can't take a different
route to get to the device (i.e.  you'll always traverse the VPN tunnel,
etc.).  The way I get around this is to define a different
check_<favorite-command-here> commands in the etc/checkcommands.cfg file
and hard code the IP address.  It's a kluge, but it works and keeps the
extra hosts off of the host map (**MAJOR** requirement of the
pointy-haired-boss).

HTH

Thom.