% Time Undetermined

Steve Rossen Steve.Rossen at Parago.Com
Wed May 21 20:26:43 CEST 2003

What about nagios.cfg options? I believe the most relevant option is:

log_initial_states=

You will need some info in the logs to be able to generate a report. I don't
understand what you mean by you don't have backtracked logged. Nagios will
let you do a report for any date, but it needs logs to make that report
useful. So if you are wanting a year to date report but only have last weeks
log Nagios will make a report from Jan to now just only the last 7 days will
have info, the rest will be undetermined.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Gauthier [mailto:jgauthier at lastar.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 1:17 PM
To: Steve Rossen; 'nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: RE: [Nagios-users] % Time Undetermined

Yes, you are correct.  The FAQ entry is basically:

availability CGIs, they get a percent of time reported as being
'Undetermined'. Sometimes the report will show '100% Undetermined' time.
What does this mean?

Solution: The trends and availability CGIs were designed to not lie to you
(or your manager). They make the best attempt to give an honest report of
the state of a host or service based on alert entries found in the log
files. If there are chunks of time in the reporting period that the CGIs
cannot determine the state of a host/service for, those chunks get counted
as undetermined.

If you get 100% of the period being reported as undetermined, the problem
lies with the fact that the CGIs could not determine the initial/start state
of the host/service for that period. You can increase the chances of the
CGIs finding an initial state for the host/service by increasing the value
of the Backtracked Archives option. If this does not help and you know what
the state of the host/service was at the start of the report period, you can
tell the CGIs what that was by selecting it from the First assumed state
dropdown box.

If only a portion of the reporting period is being shown as undetermined, it
may be due to two things:

Nagios was not running during the undetermined times. If this is the case,
you're out of luck. The CGIs cannot be forced to report the state of a
host/service when Nagios was not running.
The Nagios process was restarted one or more times during the reporting
period. If you have state retention enabled, set the Assume state retention
option to yes. If you do not have state retention enabled, you might try
setting the Assume initial states option to yes. "

The first solution is "Increase Backtracked Archives" which is a moot point,
because I have none. The second solution is to force the "Assumed initial
state", which my original emails states I have done. (I forced the initial
status to be "UP")

S, I appreciate you pointing me to the FAQ which I have covered.
Unfortunatly, in my case something else is wrong.

I would be most thankful for any other suggestions.

Thanks all,

Jason