flapping service

Jasmine jasmine.chua at securecirt.com
Tue May 20 04:36:41 CEST 2003

Hi

I am just wondering if anyone have experienced this problem with Nagios. I am
using Nagios 1.0 and  (nagios-plugins 1.3.0-beta3) 1.13.

One of my ftp service is always in flapping state despite that I have
increased the service low flap threshold to say 15 and high flap threshold to
30. It will complain a "service check timed out" or return "ok" every now and
then. The ftp service for that box is running fine. I have increased the
plugin time out to be 90 secs and the service check time out to 90 secs as
well. I am thinking is it because I have 2 nagios processes running the
background after I started nagios? Is there anything else I can do to stop it
from flapping and checking the service correctly?

Inside the service template :

service_description             FTP
check_command                 check_ftp!90

The command template:

# 'check_ftp' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_ftp
        command_line    $USER1$/check_ftp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -t $ARG1$
        }

Here are my nagios.cfg settings:

check_external_commands=0
command_check_interval=-1
inter_check_delay_method=s
service_interleave_factor=s
max_concurrent_checks=10
service_reaper_frequency=5
sleep_time=1
service_check_timeout=90
host_check_timeout=30
event_handler_timeout=30
notification_timeout=30
ocsp_timeout=10
perfdata_timeout=5
retain_state_information=0
retention_update_interval=60
use_retained_program_state=0
interval_length=60
use_agressive_host_checking=0
execute_service_checks=1
accept_passive_service_checks=0
enable_notifications=0
obsess_over_services=1
ocsp_command=submit_check_result
check_for_orphaned_services=0
check_service_freshness=0
freshness_check_interval=60
aggregate_status_updates=1
status_update_interval=15
enable_flap_detection=1
low_service_flap_threshold=15.0
high_service_flap_threshold=30.0
low_host_flap_threshold=5.0
high_host_flap_threshold=20.0

  SERVICE SCHEDULING INFORMATION
        -------------------------------
        Total services:             9
        Total hosts:                2

        Command check interval:     -1 sec
        Check reaper interval:      5 sec

        Inter-check delay method:   SMART
        Average check interval:     180.000 sec
        Inter-check delay:          20.000 sec

        Interleave factor method:   SMART
        Average services per host:  4.500
        Service interleave factor:  5

        Initial service check scheduling info:
        First scheduled check:      1053397975 -> Tue May 20 02:32:55 2003
        Last scheduled check:       1053398135 -> Tue May 20 02:35:35 2003

        Rough guidelines for max_concurrent_checks value:
        Absolute minimum value:     1
        Recommend value:            3

- --
Jasmine Chua

"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens.  The
sleeper must be awaken." -- Duke Leto Atreides