HELP !!! Solaris NRPE connection problems !!!

doron carmeli-shrim doron_cs at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 18:15:35 CEST 2003

Greattings all
I have compiled installed and configured my Linux
nagios server to monitor all critical services vis
tcp/ip and wished to extend the capabilities of my
system to warn about machine local faults.
I have used nrpe for this purpus.
Since most of my core machines are solaris based i
compiled nrpe and the nagios_plugins tarballs on a
Solaris 8 machine.
Both compilation and installation worked fine (e.g. no
errors) but when i tried to communicate with the
nagios server i discovered much to my dismay that
there is an SSL mismatch (Cannot compleat SSL
handshake).
I have solved this problem by compiling nrpe (both on
the nagios server and on the solaris host) without ssl

e.g ./configure --disable-ssl
Just to make sure i have tried communicating with a
linux host (whish nrpe naturally) .
The linux host remote check workers beautifully.
When i did the same check with my solaris host (or
should i say hosts since i have repeated the proccess
on another solaris machine) i discovered the
following:
nrpe daemon operates fine
I am able to connect to the machine both locally and
remotely (telnet to port 5666 )
Since i have enabled debugging to syslog (debug=1) in
the nrpe.cfg file i have turned to /var/adm/messages
for answers.
The only thing i found out was an nrpe daemon error :
"Could not read request from client , bailing out
...."
I have checked double-checked and triple checked my
configuration and it appears to be fine .
The same errors appear weather i activate nrpe as an
independent daemon or as an inetd ....
I have been working on my nagios system for days un
end and do not wish to discard it all.
But since all my core servers are SUN ... i will have
to if i will not succeed ...
Pls Help
Regards .. Doron :-)

http://search.yahoo.com