Status Map Placement

Richard Brynteson richard_brynteson at rdale.k12.mn.us
Mon May 12 21:39:12 CEST 2003

Thanks Marc and everyone else who helped out,

This was exactly what I needed to know.  Off to edit my hosts.cfg file
now.

Richard

>>> "Marc Powell" <mpowell at ena.com> 5/12/2003 2:34:16 PM >>>

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xodtemplate.html#host

Host Definition

A host definition is used to define a physical server, workstation,
device, etc. that resides on your network.

Definition Format:

Note: Directives in red are required, while those in black are
optional.

define host{
host_name host_name
alias alias
address address
parents host_names
check_command command_name
max_check_attempts #
checks_enabled [0/1]
event_handler command_name
event_handler_enabled [0/1]
low_flap_threshold #
high_flap_threshold #
flap_detection_enabled [0/1]
process_perf_data [0/1]
retain_status_information [0/1]
retain_nonstatus_information [0/1]
notification_interval #
notification_period timeperiod_name
notification_options [d,u,r]
notifications_enabled [0/1]
stalking_options [o,d,u]
    }

Example Definition:

define host{
    host_name            bogus-router
    alias                Bogus Router #1
    address                192.168.1.254
    parents                server-backbone
    check_command            check-host-alive
    max_check_attempts        5
    process_perf_data        0
    retain_nonstatus_information    0
    notification_interval        30
    notification_period        24x7
    notification_options        d,u,r
    }

Directive Descriptions:

[snip]

parents: This directive is used to define a comma-delimited list of
short names of the "parent" hosts for this particular host. Parent
hosts
are typically routers, switches, firewalls, etc. that lie between the
monitoring host and a remote hosts. A router, switch, etc. which is
closest to the remote host is considered to be that host's "parent".
Read the "Determining Status and Reachability of Network Hosts"
document
located here for more information. If this host is on the same network
segment as the host doing the monitoring (without any intermediate
routers, etc.) the host is considered to be on the local network and
will not have a parent host. Leave this value blank if the host does
not
have a parent host (i.e. it is on the same segment as the Nagios
host).
The order in which you specify parent hosts has no effect on how
things
are monitored.

[snip]

--