Status Map Placement

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Mon May 12 21:34:16 CEST 2003

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xodtemplate.html#host

Host Definition

A host definition is used to define a physical server, workstation,
device, etc. that resides on your network.

Definition Format:

Note: Directives in red are required, while those in black are optional.

define host{
 host_name host_name
 alias alias
 address address
 parents host_names
 check_command command_name
 max_check_attempts #
 checks_enabled [0/1]
 event_handler command_name
 event_handler_enabled [0/1]
 low_flap_threshold #
 high_flap_threshold #
 flap_detection_enabled [0/1]
 process_perf_data [0/1]
 retain_status_information [0/1]
 retain_nonstatus_information [0/1]
 notification_interval #
 notification_period timeperiod_name
 notification_options [d,u,r]
 notifications_enabled [0/1]
 stalking_options [o,d,u]
    }

Example Definition:

define host{
	host_name			bogus-router
	alias				Bogus Router #1
	address				192.168.1.254
	parents				server-backbone
	check_command			check-host-alive
	max_check_attempts		5
	process_perf_data		0
	retain_nonstatus_information	0
	notification_interval		30
	notification_period		24x7
	notification_options		d,u,r
	}

Directive Descriptions:

[snip]

parents: This directive is used to define a comma-delimited list of
short names of the "parent" hosts for this particular host. Parent hosts
are typically routers, switches, firewalls, etc. that lie between the
monitoring host and a remote hosts. A router, switch, etc. which is
closest to the remote host is considered to be that host's "parent".
Read the "Determining Status and Reachability of Network Hosts" document
located here for more information. If this host is on the same network
segment as the host doing the monitoring (without any intermediate
routers, etc.) the host is considered to be on the local network and
will not have a parent host. Leave this value blank if the host does not
have a parent host (i.e. it is on the same segment as the Nagios host).
The order in which you specify parent hosts has no effect on how things
are monitored.

[snip]

--

Marc