non-password protected page for general viewing

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Mon May 12 20:10:27 CEST 2003

Two options (to my knowledge):

1) Disable user authentication.

Impact:  If someone adds a comment or schedules downtime,
you won't know who that is.  Also, it could potentially
be a free-for-all, but it sounds like you're ready to
accept that risk.

2) Create another path/tree for Apache to work with.

I'd read this solution/workaround some months ago.  I don't
have the info at my fingertips, but essentially you make a copy
of the share and sbin directories (*without* the .htaccess files),
put them in new directories
(eg, guestshare and guestsbin), tweak httpd.conf accordingly,
remove the CGIs from the new directory that you don't want them
executing, restart Apache, and you should be good to go.  Naturally
your 'guest' users will need a slightly different URL, but that
should be the only noteworthy difference from their POV.  Other
than not needing to authenticate, that is.

jc