splitting up config files & cfg_dir

Jonathan Nichols jnichols at pbp.net
Sat May 10 08:44:29 CEST 2003

> I've recently tried to change my nagios install from having one config
> file for hosts, services, etc to having lots of config files in separate
> directories for each server group.  I'm using cfg_dir in the nagios.cfg
> file rather than specifying each file.
>
> this is how the files are laid out:
>
> /nagios - main config files with generic templates - hosts, services,
> contacts etc
> /nagios/group1 - hosts, hostgroups, hostextinfo, services
> /nagios/group2 - hosts, hostgroups, hostextinfo, services

.. that works great, doesn't it? Makes things a WHOLE lot cleaner.

Definately something to add to the Nagios FAQ (if it's not already there,
I honestly haven't looked)

I have: cfg_dir=/etc/nagios/servers/

cfg_dir=/etc/nagios/servers/ has .cfg files for each thing that I'm
monitoring. I thought about splitting it up even further but my network
really isn't that big & impressive. :-)