NSClient 1.0.8.0 Released Now: Monitoring NT event logs with Snare/Backlog, Swatch and passive checks.

Dean Bishop dbishop at ehvert.com
Fri May 9 14:27:41 CEST 2003

Good morning,

	I remember posting this to the list a while ago, I will go back and
dig it up again and post to the FAQ.  I have made a couple of minor changes
since then.

	You are correct in that swatch doesn't really take much in the way
of resources, but there are two other places where I see deficiencies in the
plan.

1)  The syslog file.  This not so much in disk space since it can be cleared
at any regular interval because it is used in near-real-time but rather in
disk activity.  I am running this on an old dual P-II 350 with a RAID 5 made
of old slow disks and this can be overwhelming with 150 servers dumping
every event to it.

2)  network traffic.  This could actually be considered three deficiencies
because this setup increases the overall network traffic as well as the
traffic emanating from the server and therefore stealing bandwidth from
their NIC's.  Not to mention the amount of traffic hitting the NIC on the
Nagios server.

Even if the filtering was done on the windows servers it would be a huge
improvement.  Then the only thing for the Nagios box to do is clean up and
format the eventlog messages and send them to the external command file.

This would solve both of the aforementioned deficiencies.

As for the effect on Nagios' external command file, there is little.  Most
of the events are not important to the site (logon failures, print
notifications, SMS errors, other bunk) so they never get formatted or sent
to the external command file.

I have, inadvertently sent all messages to the external command file and
Nagios (I think I was still running a beta version) stood up well.  There
were roughly 3-5 events per second.  Thank goodness for sendmail limits.

Regards,
dean