If service fails, check ping before sending a notification

Dean Bishop dbishop at ehvert.com
Fri May 9 14:07:08 CEST 2003

Hmmm.  This is how Nagios works.  If a service goes from an OK state to a
Non-OK state it immediately runs the check for the host (as defined in
hosts.cfg).  If the host check (commonly check-host-alive which is a ping
check) returns an OK state, then the service in question is scheduled for a
recheck at its defined retry interval.  If the service is still in a Non-OK
state after the service's defined max_check_attempts then notifications are
sent.

If the host check returns a Non-OK state, then the host check command is run
at the highest priority (i.e. immediately and without interruption,
interrupting normal scheduling).  If, after the host's defined
max_check_attempts, the host is still in a Non-OK state, then notifications
for the host are sent and all services running on this host are rescheduled
at their normal check interval but notifications for these services are
suppressed.

In other words, what you are describing is not the way Nagios works.

How do have your services dependant on ping?
Do the services have the unknown notification_option enabled?  This
shouldn't matter but maybe it does.

A snippet from the configs and more info regarding the notifications would
help.

Later,
dean