Was: NSClient 1.0.8.0 Released Now: Monitoring NT event logs with Snare/Backlog, Swatch and passive checks.

Fri May 9 11:46:44 CEST 2003

Dear Sir,

You may wish to submit a Nag FAQ about this clever and effective
way of monitoring NT event logs.

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 11:23:14AM -0400, Dean Bishop wrote:
> Good morning,
>
>             I just had to set up a site with nagios monitoring eventlogs on
> windows servers.  I did this by installing the BackLog service on each of
> the windows servers configured to send all events to the nagios box.  The
> nagios box acted as a syslog server.  I then configured swatch to watch for
> specific things (e.g. certain events AND certain servername).  Upon finding
> such an instance in the syslog file swatch executed a perl script which
> formatted the event message, added the rest of the items necessary for a
> nagios external command, and then pushed it into the nagios external command
> file.
>
> dean

I take your point about scalability although surely swatch doesn't use
much does it ?

Is the problem with Swatch/Perl, or Nag being hammered via the command
queue.

If that is the case you may be interested in the performance
enhancements planned for Nag 2.0); otherwise, it may be possible to
turbo charge swatch by embedding a Perl interpreter in a C program (and
have that execute the Swatch logic).

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.