Communication to 1.8 nrpe host : SOLVED (WAS:Building nrpe 2.03b on hp-ux 11)

Ralf Mellis testrm at kisters.com
Thu May 8 17:19:06 CEST 2003

Ralf Mellis wrote:

>> currently I'm trying to build nagios plugins 1.3 and nrpe 2.03b on my
>> hp-ux 11.00 server (I created a posting a few days ago and got an
>> answer with a hint for a link to precompiled versions, but there was
>> only the nrpe 1.8, which not fits my needs).
>>

> Because currently there is no way to build version 2.03b on my host (for
> me :-)) (changing the source code as advised from Jason was not
> successfull, but I'm not really sure whether I have done this in the
> correct way, my "life" as c coder is somewhat long ago, 10 years or
> so...) I have build up the version 1.8 (no problems here with compiler /
> linker).
>
> But the drawback: After starting the nrpe daemon I only get the lines
>
> nrpe[28714]: Could not read request from client, bailing out...
>
> in the syslog of the server at every attempt of the nagios host to
> communicate with the nrpe daemon.

> How do I establish the communication from my nagios host to the nrpe
> client 1.8 on my hp-ux server?

Yes. YES!!. I have compiled the 1.8 nrpe on my nagios host, moved the
check_nrpe as check_nrpe-1.8 to the libexec dir, defined a appropriate
command, changed the service definition...and all works fine.

Juup. I was so absorbed in compiler flags, configure parameters and
such things that my brain was completety busy. If I would had read
the nagios download page carefully ("Note: NRPE version 2.0
breaks backward compatability with 1.8 clients/servers!"), I would
not have had the difficulties...uuppss.

Thanks to Gerhard Göttinger in NG "comp.sys.hp.hpux" who took me in the
right direction...

There is only one question open: How to build the 2.03b version on hp-ux 11?

Bye

--
Ralf Mellis
Abt. DV/ORG