Nagios command file not working

Martens, Jason jmartens at cityofevanston.org
Wed May 7 16:45:04 CEST 2003

I've read the FAQ and set the permissions exactly as they asked, but for
some reason, nagios still can't open the file.  All of the links in the
web interface exist, but when I try to run a command, like force an
update on a host, I get the following error message:

Error: Could not stat() command file
'/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd'!

The external command file may be missing, Nagios may not be running,
and/or Nagios may not be checking external commands.

The permissions on the file are like so:

[root at testwebserver rw]# pwd
/usr/local/nagios/var/rw
[root at testwebserver rw]# ll
total 0
prw-rw----    1 nagios   nagiosapache        0 May  6 16:59 nagios.cmd

The permissions on the directory are like this:

[root at testwebserver var]# ll -d rw
drwxrwS---    2 nagios   nagiosapache     4096 May  6 16:59 rw
[root at testwebserver var]#

Any thoughts?
Jason