invalid hostname

Iain Young iain at g7iii.demon.co.uk
Tue May 6 21:51:52 CEST 2003

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 09:48:49AM -0400, Simon Wrote:

> The plugin refuses to check a host that contains a number in the
> beginning of the hosts fully-qualified-domain-name. I.e mail.2aa.dk.

Actually, IIRC, that is the correct DNS behaviour, according to
RFC1034. Relavent paragraph from 1034:

The labels must follow the rules for ARPANET host names.  They must
start with a letter, end with a letter or digit, and have as interior
characters only letters, digits, and hyphen.  There are also some
restrictions on the length.  Labels must be 63 characters or less.

[SNIP]

> [root at columbia nagios-plugins-1.3.0]# telnet mail.2aa.dk 25
> Trying 80.80.7.208...
> Connected to mail.2aa.dk.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 mail.2aa.dk ESMTP Tue, 06 May 2003 15:02:58 +0200

telnet, $MTA, and your resolver/DNS servers being kind. And yes
it works, and will probably continue to work, but strict adherence
to 1034 specifies that they are 'illegal'.

My understanding is that a strict implementation of 1034/DNS would
fail to resolve labels starting with a digit.

> > Any help will be usefull.

How is the plugin determining what a legal hostname is ? Does
it have a switch or option to make it more kind ?

Iain