Cisco 2600 router and Telnet

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Fri May 2 03:29:49 CEST 2003

Cisco's have a limited number of VTY's available for interactive network
sessions (5 I think). It seems to me that the router is waiting for the
connection that Nagios is making to result in an actual login and not
timing out properly if it doesn't. This isn't a Nagios specific issue as
I'll bet that if you repeatedly telnet'd to the port and immediately
dropped the connection a number of times you'd see the same behavior. If
it were me I would either a) look at upgrading the current running IOS
on that router to see if that corrected the issue or b) not do telnet
checks as a telnet failure on a Cisco router is an exceedingly rare
occurrence that doesn't usually affect any other services the router is
providing.

marc