Cisco 2600 router and Telnet

Brad Dunn Brad at pretzel.com.au
Fri May 2 01:56:46 CEST 2003

Hey there, I wasn't sure if this is the best place to send this, but I
thought id just see if there was anyone out there who had been involved with
a similar issue.

In a nutshell all my nagios runs sweet without to many problems. However,
the only thing I've noticed, is I have a check on telnet on a Cisco 2600.

This is what the check looks like.

[checkcommands.cfg]
# 'check_telnet' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_telnet
        command_line    $USER1$/check_tcp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 23
        }

[services.cfg]
# Service definition
define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name of
service template to use

        host_name                       Cisco-2600
        service_description             PING
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           1
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  router-admins
        notification_interval           240
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            c,r
        check_command                   check_ping!500.0,20%!700.0,60%
        }

Now my only problem, is that every now and then telnet just dies, and I am
unable to login to the router remotely. Now before I was doing nagios checks
every so often, back when I didn't use nagios, telnet has NEVER died. I was
just wondering, is it at all possible that maybe the telnet sessions aren't
being established or closed off properly or something like that?

If anyone has a better way to check the service as well id like to hear it.

Thanks a lot.

b r a d  d u n n
s y s t e m s  a d m i n i s t r a t o r
.  .  .

pretzelLogic
Ph:  +61 8 9218 8588
Fax: +61 8 9218 8599