NCSA vs. NRPE?

Patrick Narkinsky patrick.narkinsky at wcom.com
Thu Mar 27 18:14:29 CET 2003

I'm doing a rather large Nagios installation (ca. 700 UNIX servers, all
varieties.)  In looking at how to get check results back to the Nagios
server, I've been debating whether I wanted to use NRPE and active
checks or whether it would be better to setup NCSA using passive checks
directed back to the nagios server.

For my purposes, I see the following advantages to the passive approach:

1) Reduces load on the nagios server, which in my environment may matter.
2) More secure: I am not opening any holes *into* my production servers
- instead, I'm connecting back to the monitoring server.
3) I can delegate configuration to the admins of the various servers.
So, if they want to adjust alarm thresholds, they can do so.
4) Fewer restarts of the nagios server necessary to process object file
configuration changes.

However, I see that most people are running NRPE.  Before I spend a lot
of time going down the wrong road, am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Patrick Narkinsky